- The interface works in one direction only – it only receives MIDI data. Instrument’s knobs, sliders and buttons are not transmitted as a MIDI data.
- MIDI Thru function (no MIDI Thru-box is necessary).
- Controls the instrument’s drum sound generators and sequencer from MIDI. The instrument’s sound parameters (control elements on panel) are not MIDI controllable.
- Internal memory to store the interface user settings (the instrument’s sound parameters cannot be stored).
- Easy user control of the interface parameters via MIDI CCs (as well as SysEx for experts).
- Original features of the instrument are not changed and the instrument can be used the same way as before the interface installation.
- Installation without extensive modification of the instrument circuits.
The interface operates in one of these three working modes:
- The interface is switched off.
- The CR-68 / CR-78 instrument works the same way as before the interface installation.
- Internal instrument’s tempo generator is switched off.
- Tempo of instrument’s sequencer is synchronized with MIDI clock.
- Run of the instrument’s sequencer can be controlled with MIDI Start/Continue/Stop and with the Run/Stop button on instrument panel simultaneously.
- Tempo of the sequencer can be doubled.
- Internal instrument’s sequencer is switched off.
- Instrument’s drum sound generators are launched by MIDI Notes.
- Dynamics of sound generators is driven by Velocity of the MIDI Notes.
- User programmable map of drum instruments including dynamics of particular instruments.
- Possibility of volume control with MIDI CCs Volume and Expression.
- User selectable MIDI Channel for communication
The interface recognizes MIDI commands:
- Note On (inc. Velocity)
- Standard CCs (Volume, Expression)
- Own CCs (# 16-22, 119)
- Common MIDI Synchronization (Clock, Start, Continue, Stop)
- Common System Reset
- System Exclusive Messages
Example of CR-78’s sound – the interface works in “Note” mode:
Installation of all MIDI interface parts into the instrument is somewhat more complicated but no problem should occur if all instructions indicated in the installation manual are kept. Please note that a complete beginner should not carry out the installation. At least basic manual dexterity and knowledge of soldering are required.
The CRX8-M MIDI kit package contains all necessary parts (board, cables, coupling elements, etc.) incl. owner’s and installation manuals in printed form.
See list of documents and support software available for download.
Note that Owner’s Manual and Installation Manuals (for both CR-68 and CR-78 instruments) in printed form are included in the product delivery.